Should you repair your roof yourself?
It’s never been “easier” to attempt DIY roof repair. A simple online search reveals millions of how-to videos and articles…it’s easy to see why so many homeowners decide going it alone is the most cost effective way to fix a faulty roof.
So, should you attempt to repair your roof yourself? Let’s talk about the pros and cons of DIY roof repair in Georgia.
Do-It-Yourself Roof Repair PROS
- It’s possible to save a significant amount of money on labor when performing a roof repair yourself. (Remember to factor in the materials discounts professional roofers pass on to the customer when determining materials costs)
- Perform the repair around your own schedule without having to wait on a professional roofer’s calendar to open up
Do-It-Yourself Roof Repair Cons
- Roof repair (and especially roof replacement) are highly-skilled jobs. Without the proper training and in-field experience, it’s easy to miss underlying problems or to improperly perform a repair.
- Tools can be incredibly expensive. If you don’t already have a shed full of commercial-grade tools, you might end up spending more than you think on the equipment you need for the job at hand.
- Roof work is inherently dangerous. Without proper safety equipment, no repair job is ever truly safe. It’s also possible that your health insurance won’t adequately cover the cost of a fall in the worst-case-scenario.
- Relatedly, some homeowners’ insurance policies can be nullified when improper or unlicensed repairs are performed on a home. Check your specific policy for details, but in general, it’s always best to hire a licensed, insured roofing professional.
- Most materials come with their own warranties, but these are also nullified when the materials aren’t installed by a certified roofer. If your new shingles crack, for example, you may have no recourse if you’ve installed them yourself.
There are, of course, dozens of other differences between a professional roof repair and a DIY-job. While it’s always tempting to perform residential repairs yourself, Accent Roofing strongly encourages you to reach out to a local roofing professional before going it alone. When you work with the right roofing company, you’ll be surprised just how efficiently and affordably professional roof work can be done.
Considering do-it-yourself roof repair?
Reach out to Accent Roofing for a second opinion. We always offer no pressure, no hassle advice whether you decide to go with us or DIY.